There’s a common belief to do for others first and to do for yourself last. While this belief is certainly encouraging you to be loving and helpful to those around you, you also deserve self-care, and it’s a priority! It’s time to take care of your needs, and of course, help others when you can, after your needs have been met.
We succeed when we are feeling our best. Moreover, we thrive when we are happy, stress-free, and living the life we love. Without self-care, we are neglecting the needs our bodies require to be successful and happy individuals productive to ourselves and the world around us.
Sleep is a priority that is oftentimes overlooked when comparing it to the tasks of day-to-day life. It’s time that sleep is prioritized and you enjoy 7-9 hours of undisturbed, high-quality sleep every night!
While we sleep, our body repairs blood vessels and organs that have been damaged or stressed throughout the day. Our brains use this time to sort through and store information, and our bodies balance themselves out.
Make the first step to self-care and head to bed an hour or two earlier! Your body will thank you!
EAT GOD’S GLORIOUS FOODS
Eating God’s glorious whole and plentiful foods rich with nutrients will not only keep your body running smoothly, but you will feel healthier overall.
I also believe in balance. And that means letting loose once in a while so you can simply enjoy yourself. Without guilt.
The 90/10 rule is a helpful reminder that if you eat God’s glorious, real foods and take good care of yourself 90% of the time, then your body can handle a cookie or piece of cake from time to time. The point of wellness is not to adhere to anything so strictly that all the joy is sucked out of life. Otherwise, it can become a religion, right?
As long as you’re healthy-oriented the majority of the time, then you can give yourself permission to relax and indulge on occasion too.
SCHEDULE 1 HOUR OF SELF-CARE EACH DAY
Take at least 1 hour a day to yourself. This doesn’t mean sitting on the couch while finishing an essay assignment or grading papers for your high school students. This means an hour of undisturbed time when you are enjoying something that benefits yourself.
Make sure “you-time” is a priority. When you are drowning in the demands of daily life and push your own needs to the side, self-care has become the last priority. To live a healthy life, self-care must be a priority! Just one hour a day can reflect big changes in your life!
Here are some ideas to get the juices flowing:
- Pick up a new hobby or rekindle an old one
- Get creative: Find a creative outlet for your emotions. Look through pictures or try your hand at painting. Do anything that keeps your hands busy and keeps your mind off of food.
- Learn a new hobby – painting, drawing and coloring are especially soothing to the soul.
- Get a massage: Treat yourself to a massage to feel relaxed and to revitalize your energy level. This will motivate you to stay busy and also improve the quality of your sleep.
- Do yoga or meditate
- Journal: Journaling is another great tool to get your emotions out on paper rather than in the pantry!
- Read a book or magazine
- Take a bubble bath
- Connect with a friend or loved one
- Go out and appreciate nature: Go for a walk or just sit outside for a few minutes. Really pay attention to what is around you; there’s so much to notice in nature, you won’t notice a need to eat.
- Dance: Music and dancing have been shown to promote good, positive feelings and they can definitely take your mind off your troubles. Finding your favorite song is easier than ever these days, so crank it up and get moving!
- Listen to soothing music: On the flip side, try some soothing, relaxing music if you just need to unwind and let go of some stress. Praise and worship music is my favorite to help relieve stress. It’s hard to be praising God and filled with anxiety at the same time! I use classical music in the evenings to help unwind.
Ensuring you are making yourself a priority is essential to your overall health and well-being! Follow these tips to get yourself started in the right direction to a happier life. Self-care isn’t selfish- it’s one of the most important things you can do to keep yourself healthier and happier than you’ve ever been!
If you want even more healthy eating & living strategies to help you stay healthy and sane this Holiday, then be sure to download my Holiday Survival Guide!